[Home ] [Archive]   [ فارسی ]  
:: Main :: About :: Current Issue :: Archive :: Search :: Contact ::
:: Volume 15, Issue 1 (6-2013) ::
2013, 15(1): 3-13 Back to browse issues page
Diet Quality and its Relationship with Metabolic Syndrome in Adolescents: Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study
Sahar Mohseni takallou, Parvin Mirmiran, Yadollah Mehrabi, Firoozeh Hosseini-Esfahani, Maryam Ataii, Fereidun Azizi
Nutrition and Endocrine Center, Research Institute for Endocrine Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran , firoozehhosseini@yahoo.com
Abstract:   (10516 Views)
Introduction: The “Dietary Guidelines for Americans Adherence Index (DGAI)” was developed based on the adherence to the dietary recommendations of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 (DGA-2005) to assess the contribution of dietary patterns to chronic diseases. The objective of this study was to evaluate the association of dietary patterns as measured by the modified DGAI with the prevalence of metabolic syndrome (MetS) and its components in Tehranian adolescents. Materials and Methods: In this cross-sectional study, 706 adolescents aged 10 to 19 years, participated from the fourth phase of the Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. Usual dietary intake was assessed using a valid food frequency questionnaire, and the DGAI score was calculated for all participants. MetS was defined according to de Ferranti criteria. Results: The most prevalent risk factor for MetS was high waist circumference (51.8%). After adjusting for confounding variables, those in the highest quartile category of DGAI had a 36% lower risk of low HDL-C (odds ratio=64%, 95% CI: 0.41-0.98 and P for trend=0.03) and 50% lower risk of hypertension (odds ratio=50%, 95% CI:0.25-0.99 and P for trend=0.02), compared with the lowest quartile. Increasing adherence to DGAI showed no significant difference in risk of hypertriglyceridemia, hyperglycemia, high waist circumference, MetS, mean body mass index (BMI) or physical activity scores. Conclusion: In adolescents, increasing adherence to Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 (DGA-2005) had only an inverse association with low HDL-C and hypertension, but had no relationship with the risk of MetS and its other components.
Keywords: Diet quality, Metabolic syndrome, Adolescent, Dietary Guidelines for Adherence Index
Full-Text [PDF 343 kb]   (2462 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Original | Subject: Nutrition
Received: 2012/07/17 | Accepted: 2013/05/25 | Published: 2013/05/25
Add your comments about this article
Your username or Email:


XML   Persian Abstract   Print

Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

mohseni takallou S, mirmiran P, Mehrabi Y, Hosseini-Esfahani F, Ataii M, Azizi F. Diet Quality and its Relationship with Metabolic Syndrome in Adolescents: Tehran Lipid and Glucose Study. Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism 2013; 15 (1) :3-13
URL: http://ijem.sbmu.ac.ir/article-1-1421-en.html

Rights and permissions
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Volume 15, Issue 1 (6-2013) Back to browse issues page
مجله ی غدد درون‌ریز و متابولیسم ایران، دو ماهنامه  پژوهشی مرکز تحقیقات غدد درون‌ریز و متابولیسم، Iranian Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism
Persian site map - English site map - Created in 0.05 seconds with 31 queries by YEKTAWEB 4570